header Ottawa 3

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Rampage

Continuing on my cleaning out the closets and shelves kick, I decided to strike even deeper and clean out a few drawers. Imagine my horror as I rummaged around in one of my drawers only to find that unbeknowst to me the dust and mould mites were slowly working their way through my belongings. I emptied the drawer of its contents, removed the main culprit, discarded

the evidence and gave the whole thing a wipe with bleach. Everything is now sitting in the sun, which I hope is enough to kill whatever may be lingering behind.






As a result, today I will bid adieu to two wallets, both of which have sentimental value: the purple one I bought when I lived in El Salvador in a community of returned refugees. The women of the community had formed a small weaving cooperative and were trying to earn a living through the production of the group. The leather one I bought in the Soviet Union back when the East was barely still the East and the West was definitely still the West. Alas, they have served me well over the years. I imagine that I probably should have gotten rid of them sooner (the fraying on the purple one is wear), the mites just gave me that extra push that I surely needed! Obviously three wallets is two too many.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I think your missing bank card is in there, ha,ha..

10:12 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love them too! Oh well, yes I save all of mine and hope I don't find any of those nasty criters!

Still snowing like mad today here.

3:29 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Happy: I knew it would turn up somewhere!

ET: I am a total packrat - just ask my mom - pretty much something like this has to happen for me to thrown anything out! No snow in Recife!

11:14 p.m.  
Blogger PretaMulatta said...

mold mites? WTF??? no one has EVER mentioned any madness like that!

what keeps them away?!

11:18 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Preta: they sell these containers of anti-mofo or anti-mould here which trap the humidity in a plastic container. I had one in the drawer, but clearly needed to change it more often.

9:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home