header Ottawa 3

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Poor Vancouverites

There is a water boiling advisory curently in effect in Vancouver due to all the rain and mudslides of the past week, which have contaminated the city's water supply. Even more disasterous than the potential health effects is the fact that Vancouverites can no longer flock to Starbucks for their daily venti tchai half-fat latte. According to an article in today's online Globe & Mail: Starbucks and Blenz, which also decided not to sell coffee or tea, have central distribution systems that send water directly to coffee machines. Employees are not able to boil water and then manually add it into the top of a coffee maker in the stores.

It kind of reminds me of those memorable lines in Best in Show:

Her: We met at Starbucks. Not at the same Starbucks but we saw each other at different Starbucks across the street from each other.
Him: I remember what I was drinking when I met you. It was a grande espresso.
Her: That's right. And I thought that was really sexy. I was drinking cappuccinos. Then I went to lattes, and then now, a double expresso mocchiano.
Him: I'm now a big old tchai tea latte soy milk kind of guy.
Her: Mmm. Soy. Because of the lactose. You're lactose intolerant now.

How ever will they manage?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking I could make money by taking some coffee from our Tim Hortons to Vancouver. I could sell it on the street at a ridiculous price, ha,ha..

Checked out the book on global warming you mentioned on my site. It got good reviews on Amazon. I may just buy it..

5:21 p.m.  
Blogger Hillary said...

Hi Karen! Thanks for de-lurking to say hi! :)

HaHA! I had forgotten about the scene in Best in Show. It's awesome!

Day 4 or the boil water advisory. Twice now I've forgotten to not use the tap water to brush my teeth. Feeling fine so far, let's see how things go in a day or two. Eek!

10:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home