header Ottawa 3

Sunday, December 02, 2007

2 Cold 2 Blog

Is it just me, or is it mind numbingly cold out there?

So much for the whole it's late October and 22ºC thing. We just passed late November and it's, well, frankly, minus 22 degrees. My official hibernation period will be starting ... NOW!

I know, I know, all you people out there are thinking "Buck up, it is Canada after all". Well, to all you naysayers, let me just explain with a small example. You see, we have a pantry that is off of our kitchen which is kind of like a walk-in closet. It also has a window to the outdoors in it. Well for the past few weeks, we have been calling the pantry the Root Cellar, due to its ability to keep cool. However, as the temperatures outside began to fall further and further, I started wondering just how cold the pantry could/would/did get. Well, tonight I dug out a thermometre and discovered that the pantry - aka the root cellar - is a BALMY 5ºC! Yes - this is correct; a part of my house which is neither the outdoor shed nor the garage which we actually don't have is in the single digits. S-I-N-G-L-E D-I-G-I-T-S.

Please don't tell me that my sensitivity to this is just because I have been in Brazil for the past few years!

p.s.: My trip to New Brunswick was good. I love seeing Brazilians meet snow and/or winter for the first time. I think that they must have taken more than a thousand photos between the dozen of them. Of course, that was the + 8ºC kind of winter. I can't imagine if it had been this week!

p.p.s: New York was also terrific (except when I got a terrible cold at the end which has taken three weeks to take its leave, but I digress). One highlight was perusing the rows and rows of fabric stores in the Garment District. Man - there is crazy wild fabric out that makes Carnaval in Brazil seem tame! Highly recommended!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home