header Ottawa 3

Sunday, July 22, 2007

I Swam with the Dolphins!

First: I finally made it to Praia da Pipa, one of the items on my elusive To Do Before I Leave list.

Second: After six years of travelling and living in Brazil, a beach still managed to totally stun me with its beauty. I would definitely classify Pipa as one of Brazil's top five to ten beaches.

Third: I swam with dolphins!

Really! It's true. One of the bays in Pipa - Praia dos Golfinhos (photo above) - is home to a school of dolphins, or golphins, as we started to call them. The dolphins play and swim really close to shore and seem to have no problem with us people floating about in their near vicinity. It was spectacular! While the dolphins obviously don't come right up and touch your nose, they do manage to get pretty close - maybe 5-8 metres away. A definite highlight!

Aside from the dolphins, Pipa is terrific. Totally relaxed beaches with little to no infrastructure; stunning cliffs as a backdrop; soft, fluffy sand; a light surf; and great food in the little town. In many ways it reminded me of Fernando de Noronha (minus the snorkling) x Porto de Galinhas x Tulum, Mexico.

Time and driving well spent!

2 Comments:

Blogger Magic Mark said...

That beach really reminds me of Fernando. I am sure that it must have been great fun to swim with the golphins!

10:49 a.m.  
Blogger Allison said...

Awww... I just shed a little tear of regret that we didn't make it there for our weekend adventure... but that's ok, the Galinhas were great and we had our share of fun times! Besides, we had to leave something to do next time! Best of luck with the move back, I hope the transition goes well and isn't too sad!

11:40 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home