header Ottawa 3

Monday, June 18, 2007

I Knew It!

Almost everyone in urban Brazil drinks bottled water, the standard being 20L garrafões that a legion of boys and men deliver on dilapidated bikes. The bottles range in price from R$1 - R$5. Yes folks, some of these 20L bottles of water cost CAN$0.50 and, at that price, I have to admit, I've always been slightly suspicious of their provenance. And now, I know that it is true: the other day as I was driving down Avenida Recife, I saw it with my own two eyes: a vendor was filling a garrafão straight from a common garden hose. Didn't even have the decency to do it behind his store!

4 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Perhaps he was just filling it up to water the plants as he went about town?? :) Maybe there's a plausible explanation... can't believe that he would have the gumption to do it in plain sight... seems like that might get around and hurt the bottom line...

2:22 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

You'd think 'eh? Although the bottom line here isn't always as clear as the one back home....

10:57 p.m.  
Blogger Magic Mark said...

I hope that the more expensive water is real...

12:38 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh, all the water is real. Just the chemical configuration that alters ... ;-)

7:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home