header Ottawa 3

Saturday, May 26, 2007

I Just Bought a Fabulous Pair of Shoes

How's that for as radical a shift as possible from my previous post? I realise that the change is a little shallow, reprenhensible really, but I am just so pleased and in fact, amazed, with my new shoes, that I couldn't resist writing about them.

Contrary to popular belief, it's actually not that easy to buy shoes in Brazil/Recife. The selection tends to oscillate between four-inch heels (platform or stiletto) and flipflops, with very little inbetween. About a month ago I saw a pair of shoes in Mr. Cat that caught my eye - brown leather, low heel, modern, high quality, well made. Could it be? Could I have found the coveted inbetween? I tried them on, but wasn't completely convinced, and ended up leaving them in the store. After a month of trying to find a suitable substitute, I decided to go back and buy a pair of the Mr. Cat's. Sadly, when I entered the store, they were no where to be seen. My conversation with the storegirl went something like this:

Me: Hi. I was here a couple of weeks ago and tried on a brown leather shoe with low heels, but I guess you must have sold out.
Salesgirl: Yes. I know exactly which pair you are talking about. It was a huge success. Everyone loved the low heel and comfortable design.
Me: [hamsters turning]
Salesgirl: We still have some, but we keep them in the back now. I'll bring one out for you to try on.
Me: [hamsters still turning]. Great.
Salesgirl: [comes back with two pairs of shoes, the original as well as a second, similar model] Okay, here they are.
Me: Hmmmmmm. I'm still not sure about the original model, but this second pair is amazing.
Salesgirl: Yes, it was selling so quickly, we decided to put it in the back room.
Me: ?
Salesgirl: It's such a great shoe. You know, for actually wearing. Like to work and stuff.
Me: Mmmmmmm. Yes, they seems to be. I'll take 'em.
Salesgirl: Terrific. I'm sure you'll love them just like everyone else.

And there you have it. The story of how these shoes do exist and are coveted. Entrepreneurs take note: there are riches to be made, but please, why are they hidden at the back of the store?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home