header Ottawa 3

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Salvador

Hurray! My three days in Salvador were fun and productive. Here are a few pics:

Elevador Lacerda:


Downtown Salvador is parked on a cliff and is divided between Cidade Alta - the High City - and Cidade Baixa - the Lower City. The Jesuits set up the first rudementary elevator system between the two in the early 1600s, while an electric version has been around since the days of Art Deco. Nowadays, the elevator transports approximately 50,000 people a day and costs R$0.05 [CAN$0.03] per ride. Having spent all my change moments earlier, my colleague generously lent me the dosh thus saving me from having to scale the cliff.


This photo taken from the top of the elevator looks like I had a fisheye lense on my camera. I think that the pier is actually curved though giving it a bit of an optical illusion.

More Phone Fun:


For sure, berimbau phones can only be found in Salvador! A berimbau is the single-string instrument used during capoeira - Brazilian martial arts fight/dance - rodas and is composed of a bow, single string and hollowed out gourd as the resonator. The name is an onomatopoeia - berimbau, berimbau, berimbau.

São Francisco Church:


Along with the Sao Francisco da Penitencia in Rio, a significant amount of the colony's gold also ended up in this church. No photos allowed from the inside, you'll have to go see it yourself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home