header Ottawa 3

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Clothing Imperialism

I am not sure whether to laugh or to cry. Is it so aburd that it is funny, or is it simply another cog in the wheel which is a little off kilter? Winter in Brazil roughly falls between the months of July and August plus or minus another month or so. In the south and southeast, winter is a distinguishable season, and while it might not be the frostbite-in-fifteen-minutes-or-less type of winter that Canada experiences, it is still a season that is marked with dipping temperatures and the need to wear a heavier jacket and perhaps even a scarf. It has even been known to snow in southern Brazil, although any accumulation is virtually unknown. However, in the Recife and the rest of the northeast, there is very little temperature variation throughout the year and seasons can be classified as either hot or hotter (28 to 35 degrees). So when I walk through the mall and I see that stores are coming out with fall and winter collections which include puffy jackets, thick wool sweaters, and fluffy scarves, I have to wonder! Can it all be for people who will be travelling to these cooler climes? Do people need to wear warmer clothes simply because the season is called winter, regardless of any real variations? Or is it another example of the south ruling the north?

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lehet said...

I've known about the "shift" in seasons since I've been a wee child, but it's still so funny when I hear it's "Winter in July" or it's "95 on Christmas".

I guess I'm just a silly American, LOL!

1:28 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Or perhaps it is a matter of really bad Business Plans! No wonder the mall is more organic and ever changing than the stuff that morphs in my fridge!

7:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home