header Ottawa 3

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Inbetween World of Karen Lall

Through the forces of both nature and nurture, I have discovered that I am no longer fully Canadian, however nor am I fully Brazilian....

It all started in preparation for my trip back to Canada for Christmas. Even though the seasons are opposite, and it is always hot in Recife, I was looking forward to doing a bit of shopping back home. I don't always find it easy to buy work clothes in Brazil due to a variety of factors [synthetic materials and different styles that somehow look amazing on Brazilians, but not quite on this poor Canadian] and thought that I would surely be able to find a few items for purchase and import/export. Ah! Who was I kidding? Here is me reacting to clothing in both Canada and Brazil:

On the amount of material used to create an article of clothing:
Me in Brazil: I couldn't possibly buy that. So little material. Makes me look like I am going to the beach.
Me in Canada: I couldn't possibly buy that. Too much material. Makes me look frumpy.

On colour:
Me in Brazil: Too bright! What's with all the fushia?
Me in Canada: Too dreary! What's with all the gray?

On waistlines:
Me in Brazil: Ack! These Brazilian waistlines are much too low.
Me in Canada: Ack! These Canadian waistlines are much too high.

On heels:
Me in Brazil: Too high!
Me in Canada: Too low!

On seasons:
Me in Brazil: It's 30º!¹
Me in Canada: It's 30º!²

On sleeves:
Me in Brazil: Nothing here has sleeves!
Me in Canada: Everything here has long sleeves!

On fabrics:
Me in Brazil: So many synthetics.
Me in Canada: So many synthetics. Wait a minute....

So you see, I hover, always in search of the happy medium. I hover between seasons. I hover between styles. I hover between textiles. And I hover between countries. However, you can bet your bottom dollar [worth US$0.86] or your bottom real [worth US$0.44] that whenever I spot that gem, whether in the northern or southern hemisphere, I snatch it up and thus have thus created a wardrope with combines the best of both worlds!

¹ Above zero
² Below zero

3 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

You really need to vacation somewhere between Canada and Brazil, ha,ha..

11:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... hadn't realized the in-between feeling of living somewhere else than where you grew up extends to clothes.....

3:32 a.m.  
Blogger Kirk said...

Maybe you should go shopping someplace like San Diego, where it's not too hot and not too cold...

12:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home