header Ottawa 3

Monday, December 19, 2005

Strange Logic

Several chains of bank machines in Brazil can recognize foreign bank cards and subsequently ask whether I would like service in Portuguese, English, or Spanish. When prompted, I always chose Portuguese, thinking that this will trick the bank into giving me a preferential exchange rate since, clearly, as a Portuguese speaker, I am not just a tourist but rather someone who lives, works, and breathes Brazil. Although I am not sure what would possess me to come to this conclusion, there's no harm in trying, is there?

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lehet said...

A lot of ATM's here do the same thing only it's Spanish or English. I'm always pushing buttons and the machine is waiting for another answer, I wish they would "encode" it somehow on the card.

I don't think I'd get a different exchange rate on USD though : -)

Happy Summer to you!

1:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home