header Ottawa 3

Thursday, January 19, 2006

1/3 of the Power

I've expounded on Brasilia in previous posts, but the perfect weather over the past four days combined with my quiet spot on the edge of the lake with the water lapping at my feet so serenely and the funky restaurants that I enjoyed with my friends, I started to forget the downsides .... Oh no! Could it be that I am getting old???

The original design for Brasilia [it has since expanded] was in the shape of an airplane. The government ministries and buildings form the body of the plane, the residential areas the wings, and the president's office, the supreme court, and the legislative bodies -- also known as the Three Powers -- the cockpit. The picture above is of one third of the three powers. The convex structure is the senate, the concave the legislature and the twin buildings the offices. The president's office is across the street to the left and the supreme court to the right. The second photo is of the federal ministries side by side -- or one side of the body of the plane. When I flew to Brasilia last August, I landed on a cloudless night and was amazed to see the plane twinkling on the ground below me. By night, you could really distinguish the forms from above. An amazing sight.

It still seems like a bit of a moon colony to me, but after four years, I am managing to find more of its attributes as opposed to its strangeness, something I never thought that I would hear myself say!

3 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

It's odd. Even the cars look alike..

4:41 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Most of Brazil drives a silver hatchback, so the cars do end up looking all alike!

6:51 p.m.  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

I love the bowl shaped structures, whatever they are.

My very best Brazilian pal is from Brasilia.

12:05 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home