header Ottawa 3

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Strange Math

As I ponder my plans for Christmas I realise again that distances are a strange thing. When I moved to Recife back in June, I actually moved closer to home [home being my P.O. Box at the corner of Sparks & Elgin, for the purpose of this exercise] as Recife is 7207km from Ottawa while 8220km separate São Paulo from the world's second coldest capital. Flight patterns, however, laugh and snicker in the face of these distances, as the flight from Recife to Ottawa crosses 10,676km while the flight from São Paulo to Ottawa crosses a mere 8,548km. Living in São Paulo, I could head to Canada after a full day of work and arrive first thing in the morning (ah, the night flight), whereas I now have to take an extra day off to arrive at the same time, as all flights north still have to route south through São Paulo. Ditto for the trip back. There used to be a direct flight between Recife and Miami, but 9/11 put an end to that nonsense. So sad. On the other hand, only 5,848km and a direct flight separate Recife and Lisbon! Good thing I have a healthy disrespect for distance in the first place.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Living in Europe makes everything so close. I loved that. Now that I'm in Vancouver, it's a bit nerve racking trying to find certain flights. Virtually nothing is just non-stop, which I dampens my spirits. I'd opt for the trip to Lisbon, especially since I've yet to go.

1:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't opt for Lisbon!!!!! There are people waiting to see you here, and probably some cousins who want the traditional Uno evening. Portugal would be great, I would love to go there too. Put it on the list for another time. In fact, since I have had my most recent guests, I think a good local contact is a possibility.

7:59 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Don't worry Mom! I already have my ticket home for the holidays! It's just funny that Europe is closer than Canada....

8:46 p.m.  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Living in Europe makes everything closer unless everything is in Australia! ;-)

9:27 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home