header Ottawa 3

Friday, October 21, 2005

Pssst Buddy ... Wanna Buy a Printer?

It seems that one of the main occupational categories in Recife is that of bicycle delivery boy/man, with a common sight being a delivery rider with several 20L jugs of water or tanks of gas strapped to his heavy metal bike. The waterboys call out and the gasmen ting the sides of their cylinders with a metal rod announcing their wares.

I am not quite sure how a highrise apartment dweller has the time to hear the ting, run downstairs and outside, and catch the delivery guys before they pass the building. Maybe that is what doormen and interphones are for, but I digress. The other day when I was walking to work, I was passed by a guy riding around with a printer in his bike basket. Yes a printer! He was calling something out announcing his presence, but unfortunately I couldn't understand a word of what he was saying -- just think of a Liverpudlian newspaper seller calling out the day's headlines and you'll be getting close! So whether he was trying to sell the printer or sell its services, it was definitely a sight to behold. Next time I will be so bold as to ask!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home