header Ottawa 3

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Learn Something New Everyday

All around town are street vendors who sell hotdogs, hamburgers and other fast foods. Until today, I never fully understood the signboards which advertised the sandwiches available; X-Burger, X-Salada, X-Bacon, X-etc. I got the gist of the message, but never actually understood the logic behind the names. Until today, that is. Although the mode of my discovery was not glamorous at all -- leafing through my Fodor's Guide to Brazil -- I learned that an X-burger is a cheeseburger; with the letter 'X' and the Brazilian pronunciation of the English 'cheese' both being sheesh. X-Burger thus being the Brazilianised abbreviation of an English word!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kirk said...

So I take it Christmas isn't referred to there as Xmas?

8:48 a.m.  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Aiiee! Kirk got there before me!

Puts a different spin on Xmas entirely!

8:52 a.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Ha ha! Well, some might say that there is a lot of commercial sheesh in Xmas these days!

11:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home