header Ottawa 3

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Experimenting with Avocados

Recently I have been doing my share to keep the avocado farmers in business (well, you know what they say, an avocado a week, keeps the doctor ....). Mostly I have been blending them into cream of avocado, which if you haven't tried yet, you really should. It is delicious and easy; but so delicate that everyone will think that you slaved away for hours to create such a rich dessert. After experimenting with different recipes, these are my observations:

- If you aren't feeding an army, aim to buy avocados that are not the size of canteloups. I suspected that no one in northern climates will actually have this problem, but avocados here in Brazil are HUGE. They really are the size of canteloups. Since avocados have to be consumed fairly quickly once opened, make sure the size you buy is the size you need. Does not keep well!

- So far my favourite way to make them is to simply blend the avocado with some milk and a smidgen of sugar. Nothing more, nothing less. It's delish!

- Avocados are a good source of Vitamin E, Vitamin C, thiamine, and riboflavin and are a excellent anti-oxidant.

- For more information on avocados than you can shake a stick at head to About.com's avocado site.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

I'd love to find an avocado as big as a canteloupe! Now that our middle son has developed a taste for guacamole the husband and I have to share it with him. Avocados in Switzerland don't go very far between the three of us!

4:18 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home