header Ottawa 3

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Okay, I Lied

But I just couldn't resist this one last final post about garbage. It is too classic, although it will be slightly funnier for those who have been to Brazil and are more than fully aware of the ubiquitiousness of large styrofoam boxes/coolers, usually used to hawk water, beer and pop on the beach and the street, but, I digress....

On Sunday night I ordered in an extremely nutricious dinner from Habib's. My order arrived all neatly packed in aluminum dishes set in mini pizza-style boxes, with the exception of one order. Nestled among the boxes was a 15cm x 12 cm x 7 cm styrofoam carton, lovingly lined with a medium-weight plastic "basket" to protect the styrofoam. The box housed two small pieces of baklava-type desserts [okay, maybe not everything was quite so healthy]. I couldn't believe it! A carefully crafted, exact replica of the beer and water coolers. But really, cute as it is, is it really necessary? The cup in the photo is an expresso cup, just to give an idea of the size!

And now, I promise, I will move on to other more interesting topics, such as how I ventured out of my apartment on Sunday afternoon with the idea of heading to the grocery store only to be told by a passerby that "they" were robbing people on the corner and I best go back inside, which I did and which is why I ended up ordering Habib's in the first place instead of cooking something with the groceries that I didn't buy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home