header Ottawa 3

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Minor Celebrityhood

In which she discovers that lots of people are up and watching television at 6:30am.

It's all downhill from here. The peak has been reached. On Tuesday morning, I woke up at 5:00am [usually the only thing that gets me up at 5am is an airplane reservation], was picked up by a private driver from the local chapter of Brazil's main media network, and was whisked downtown for a live interview on one of our projects. I have to say that after preparing for several hours on Monday afternoon, reading all that there was to read, my 23 1/2 [not really an exaggeration!] seconds of on-air time were fleeting. Very fleeting! How I wish that I had had another 15 seconds to explain just a little bit more.... However, these 23 1/2 seconds, however fleeting, were witnessed by most of Recife, including the doormen in my building, the nephew and family of my cleaning lady, the guards at work (who saw it on a bakery's television as they walked to work), and colleagues from other offices. Overall, it's pretty funny to be walking out of my building and have someone yell after you Oi Dona Karen. Dona Karen. Parabéns! Parabéns! Passou na televisao! Vi voce na televisao! Nossa! Parabéns! Ah, the price of fame. As I said, it's all downhill from here!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

Now you've been on the telly once, I'm sure all the tv channels will be beating a path to your door!

5:19 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

congrats! I once got my fame too. But I was much more recognized from newspapers than from tv..

2:06 a.m.  
Blogger Michael Lehet said...

Wow...and we'll all have the chance to say "we knew her back when"

That's a great story!

2:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home