header Ottawa 3

Friday, May 19, 2006

It's Not About the Driving ...

... it's about the parking.

I promise that this will not become an All About My Car blog (too late, some might say, I hear you snickering in the background...), but I do need to say that it isn't always about the driving. Sometimes it is about the parking.

On Wednesday night, I headed out to the neighbourhood just south of Boa Viagem called Piedade. The occassion was a small reception at someone's apartment. Of course, my first challenge was to get there. After getting caught in a traffic jam due to (surprise surprise) an accident and then missing the building twice, thus necessitating huge Recife-style turn-arounds, I managed to locate my destination. However, my greater problem was where to park. The building was located on one of the neighbourhood's main drags and traffic whizzed along at quite a clip. There were no cars parked anywhere that I could see and the kerb on both sides were pitch black. Not wanting to do to yet another switchback, I decided to park the car kitty corner from my destination, even though there was not a soul to be seen. When I got to the entrance of the building, I discovered that my co-receptioners had either parked right on the sidewalk or had parked in one of the four parking spots allocated to the bakery across the street.

Unfortunately, I found myself spending most of the reception glancing out the window worrying about my car....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parking, walking, whatever, it is cause for concern! Take care, as I know you do!

Sally and I watched City of God one evening... seemed very realistic to me, except that the first favela seemed not representative, it was too clean, but as we got further into the film, I thought it gave a better picture.

9:23 p.m.  
Blogger Michael Lehet said...

Oh, I feel your pain.

That's the big issue here as well....I "lost" my parking spot I paid for late last year and that really curbed my "going out at night" because finding a parking spot in my neighborhood is a pain in the butt!

You'll get really good at parallel parking!

10:28 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home