header Ottawa 3

Friday, February 10, 2006

Run Nose Run

The ex-termitators came on Tuesday and sprayed their toxic fumes into my house. The technique, which they assured me was harmless even as my eyes watered and my throat closed up [yes, I was wearing a mask], involved first, removing one screw from every electrical or cable outlet and spraying a powder into the wall, and two, drilling five holes [two on each side and one on the crossbeam] of every doorframe and the inside of every closet and cupboard and then injecting a toxic liquid which is then supposed to seep into the wood and kill/discourage termites from settling in and wreaking their havoc.

Well ... the immediate result of the powder being sprayed into the electrical outlets was a large white cloud of toxic vapour seeping out and dissipating into the air, while one can imagine the result of the liquid which was injected into holes drilled vertically up into the beams. Think gravity.... When I pointed out that the liquid sprayed into the vertical holes was simply leaking out onto the floor, the ex-termitators agreed to plug each hole for a few seconds with a cloth that I had to provide. Poor Felix, he had to spend the day locked up in the backroom. In any case, the entire affair took just over two hours and then I was left with the mess of having all my worldly positions strewn around the house while the poison worked its way into the beams and bases.

So, why the runny nose? Well, today I spent several hours starting to put everything back in its place. However, the disruption of so many clothes and other items has led to a major Stirring Of the Mould. I haven't blogged about my mould problems, but this picture, taken a week or two after arriving in Recife [yes, it only took a matter of days for this to happen...] should say it all!

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lehet said...

Hey, you're the one that lives in a beautiful contry next to an amazingly beautiful beach.....I don't wanna hear it! LOL

It must be really humid there for mold to be so rampant? I'd never thought of that as being a problem in the tropics, but I guess it makes sense.

1:12 a.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

You're right Michael! Thanks for keeping me level!

10:12 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home