header Ottawa 3

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Invação das Formigas

I seem to have an ant thing going on in my kitchen. One day, they appeared out of no where and since then, encouraging them to take their leave has been challenging. A few odd observations:

1. It is clear that ants are attracted to anything sweet. Anytime there has been a drop of anything -- fruit, cookie crumbs, juice -- on the counter, the ants go nuts. Clean up the sweetness, goodbye to the ants. However, strangely enough, even when the counter was absolutely spotless there would still be a small trail of ants moving back and forward. Scrub as I might, they just would not disappear. In a moment of scientific lucidity, I decided to move my cookbooks off the counter. Ten minutes later, problem solved! The ants must have been attracted to the decade-old food splotches in my cookbooks. Yuck!

2. This one I can't figure out. Aside from small remnants of food, the ants are wildly attracted to Felix's water bowl. Perhaps they are dying of thirst? Or trying to perfect their freestyle? No, but seriously, the ants are all over the water. I will routinely find dozens and dozens and dozens of them clumped together floating/swimming in the middle of the bowl. It's quite the sight!

In any case, things are under control now that I have moved the cookbooks and I feel like I have regained control of my kitchen! Now I just need to find a new spot for the books.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lehet said...

The ants are probably just thirsty after their big trip up the highrise.

What floor do you live on? There must be MILLIONS of ants in your building if they're all the way up to your floor.

Sorry, hope I didn't freak you out.

9:49 a.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

The journey up thirteen flights must surely be the expanation. It also might explain the structural instability of my building!

1:30 p.m.  
Blogger Michael Lehet said...

Oh no, your house is being held together by ants.

Don't kill 'em!

2:51 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Although this is somewhat embarrassing to admit, that reminds me of an Archie comic that I read back in me youth. Archie's jalopy fell apart after going through the carwash as it turned out that the dirt was the only thing holding it together.

Just in case, I will try to divert the ants as opposed to kill them!

11:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home