header Ottawa 3

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Where am I?

In the past two days I have seen/heard four helicopters circling in and around the office and apartment. I found it a bit strange, since until yesterday I hadn't seen one helicopter in the four months that I have been living in Recife. In São Paulo [ah yes, the phrase that makes everyone groan!] helicopters are a common site, mainly because:

1. Some Paulistanos have a lot of money;
2. Traffic can be horrendous;
3. Security is a concern, particularly for the ultra-rich; and
4. Some Paulistanos have a lot of money.

Many buildings in São Paulo have helicopter landing pads and it isn't uncommon to see a helicopter touch down, let its occupant out, and then take off again. Although Recife is in no way immune to the same inequalities that plague the rest of the country, the situation doesn't seem to merit commute by helicopter. The fact that Recife is approximately one sixth or seventh the size of São Paulo is probably a contributing factor. I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open to see whether or not it was a one time event or if it is becoming a trend.

All in a day's work in São Paulo.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home