header Ottawa 3

Friday, September 23, 2005

Foiled!

I think that the gods of transportation must be trying to tell me something. Either that, or I am truly not destined to be successful in my quest to own a car. This afternoon, I finally managed to get myself to the car dealer before it closed, with the intention of test driving a model or two. The sun was shining. I left work on time. Even the employee who deals solely with diplomatic sales was there. What could possibly go wrong? The computer crashed once, but it was successfully rebooted.

Well ... after checking out all the different models available, the pros, the cons, and the price, the salesman told me that it would not be possible to go for a test drive. There just weren't any test-drive models that had been liberated by the factory. It's not that a particular model was out being driven around. It simply did not exist. Added to the situation was the fact that the dealership was having a promotional blitz today with music and dancing teenagers. I imagined that this effort to increase traffic [no pun intended] would at least mean that there would be a model to take for a spin. Ah well! Perhaps next week!

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lehet said...

That really makes me realize how much "excess" there is North America, amazing that they don't even have a car for you to test drive.

How long would it actually take to GET a car?

3:35 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

There is a lot of excess here as well -- it is just inappropriately distributed. A few people with lots of excess and many people with no excess at all....

As for the car, if I were a "normal" person, I could buy a car and have possession within seven days. However, as I have diplomatic status, I have to go through a whole other process which includes:

- Informing my colleagues at the Embassy which make and model I am interested in buying;
- The Embassy then fills out a bunch of paperwork to request permission from the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- The paperwork churns around there for a few weeks then returns to the Embassy, hopefully with the stamp of approval.
- Then, and only then, can I order the car from the dealer.
- Now, since the car is diplomatic as opposed to a regular car, it has to be specified as such from the start, meaning that it has to be built already designated and cannot come from the existing fleet. This takes 45-90 days depending on the make.
- Once the car is delivered, I then have to get insurance, which cannot be done before the car exists, and request my plates from the Brazilian Ministry of Foriegn Affairs. Technically the plates arrive in another three or four weeks.
- So in all, a four month process, easily!

Added to this is the delay in getting a resident number in Brazil, without which you cannot even rent a video! I got my number back in January, but that in itself took four months. Hmmmmm ... 4 + 4 = an awful long time. I have also procrastinated a lot which hasn't helped the situation! I suspect that diplomatic purchasing power is a special case in Brazil....

9:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home