header Ottawa 3

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Drastic Measures

Last night, in a minor fit of 1:30am rage, I left four notes under the windshield wipers of the four cars which are currently parking in my parking spots. Okay, yes. I have four parking spots. This in itself is obviously on the excessive side, but they came with the apartment and are definitely indicative of other, more systemic, issues. One of the funny things is that my four spots are spread out over two levels of parking garage so that not even I knew where they all were. From the beginning, I knew that one of my spots [the one that I pass everyday when I leave through the back entrance] had been invaded by another resident. I later realised that the second spot had also been invaded. And then last night, in the hunt for my final two spots, I discovered that they too had been invaded, leaving me with no spot at all. It was the last straw!

Now, I realise that I don't actually have a car with which to fill the spot. But this is not the point. I could have visitors with cars. I could have had delivery of my to-be-purchased car. Etc. The least that a car squatter could do is check with me to see if it would be okay to use my spot. The spots are all very clearly marked, so this is not the issue. So the question then becomes, why do people who already have four parking spots need to invade mine? Well ... it could be because they have more than four cars or it could be because their cars/SUVs are too big for their regular parking spots and thus need to spill over into other spots. Well, no more! It was time to take action.

So late last night, I finally got up the nerve to leave notes on the offending cars. Then this morning, I started wondering when/if the phone would start to ring. The first person called towards the end of the morning and was very apologetic. She explained that she had asked the administration for a different parking spot since their spots, all located on the upper level, were only accessible by a short flight of stairs which her elderly mother had difficulty navigating. In response, the administration generously gave away my spot with nary a word to me. Since the woman i) made the effort to call; ii) was apologetic; and iii) had a real reason to have a parking spot on the lower level which is accessible directly by elevator, I saw no reason to take the spot away from her. I am not that bad, I just want my neighbours to do the right thing and ask before taking. Now, I wonder what kind of stories, if any, the rest of them will have. The note was decidely firm, but not nasty. Hopefully I haven't caused any diplomatic incidences!

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Well now, that would be a logical question, wouldn't it?

12:29 p.m.  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

If this had happened here in Switzerland, you can rest assured that the parking police would have been called in!

Good luck with the other 3!

3:25 p.m.  
Blogger Michael Lehet said...

I know how it is about parking! Good for you for leaving the note, but even better for someone to follow-up with you, any news from the others?

3:31 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Well ... yesterday morning my intra-phone rang at 6:30am! I could only imagine that it was one of the squatters since who else would call at such an ungodly hour? I didn't answer since i) I was more asleep than awake; and ii) having been woken in such a jolting manner (I am not a morning person!), I didn't think that I would be in the best of moods to respond!

In any case, clearly the offenders spoke with the condo administration, since yesterday evening after work, the concierge spoke to me about the spaces. It seems, as was previously pointed out, that in fact the administration had been giving away my parking spaces without consulting/asking me. Now in a building of rental units, I can see how this might happen. But in fact, this is a condominum, and the condo administration has no jursidiction whatsoever over individual apartments/property. Giving away my spaces is the equivalent of someone living in a rowhouse parking in their neighbour's driveway without asking simply becasue their neighbour does not use all the space. So the administration apologized and indicated that they should not have given away the spaces without verifying if this was in fact okay. I told them that at least one of the squatters had to go and that when I finally got my car, probably one more would have to go since I would always like to have a visitor's spot.

Oh -- here's something that's funny! One of the squatters is the cousin of one of the apartment owners here. The cousin lives a few apartment buildings down, but only has two parking spaces in their building. Since they had more than two cars, they asked their cousin if they could park in this basement and the cousin gave away my spot!! It makes little sense....

8:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home