header Ottawa 3

Friday, November 03, 2006

A Death in Brazil

Not to worry - no one has died! A Death in Brazil is just the title of the book that I have just started rereading. Part travelogue, part gastronomic tour, part history, part detailled breakdown of the massive corruption under Fernando Collor de Mello, Brazil's first democratically elected president following the 1964-85 military dictatorship, I was gifted a copy of Death when I first moved to Brazil back in 2004. I believe that I first started reading it back in Sao Paulo before beginning my Northeastern Adventures and got bogged down just over a hundred pages in when it seemed that Fernando's henchman - Paulo Cesar Farias [PC for short] - just couldn't get any worse. I've picked it up again and so far, so good. Much of the action takes place in Recife, in and around places that I know, which I think is why I am enjoying it more the second time around. I'm about the turn the corner on the hundreth page, so it remains to be seen whether I get bogged down in PC's shenanigans once again!

On another note, still haven't managed to locate my bank card. It has been suggested that I move on to Plan B, suck it up, call the bank, and get them to send me a new card!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The book sounds interesting. It would be fun(?) to read about places you are familiar with.

I think plan B sounds like a very good plan..

10:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home