header Ottawa 3

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Twenty-four Hour Banking, Sixteen Hours a Day

I realise that this has been done for security reasons, but it bugs me nonetheless. ATMs in Northeastern Brazil [even ones misleadingly named Banco 24 Horas or Banco 30 Horas] are only open between 6:00 and 10:00pm. Need money early in the morning or late at night? Too bad for you, the lights are out and nobody is home. Bank machines that are found in public locations that cannot be closed [shopping malls which have restaurants and cinemas and airports] are restricted to a cash withdrawal of R$100 [CAN$50] after ten. You'd think that having been caught cashless a few times that I would have learned my lesson. (Un)Surprisingly, this is not the case....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did they have a lot of robberies at the ATM's or something..

9:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate this! In Japan most ATM's closed at 6pm!! I have no clue why this is and could never get an answer out of anyone. Also no interact and very little credit, so for a night out - you better have enough cash on you!
~Heather

3:32 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Happy: Unfortunately yes!

Heather: Really?? How odd. I understand Brazil's system for security reasons. But Japan??

Sangron: Ah yes! Me too! Fortunately there are two banks near my place that accept international cards (HSBC is pretty good) so I can coordinate this aspect of getting money. But I have been caught several times in very close cashless situations....

9:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home