header Ottawa 3

Friday, June 09, 2006

I was also in São Luis

Although it is hard to tell from the last week of posts, I also spent some time not in Belem. The second stop on our tour was São Luis, the capital of the state of Maranhão. São Luis was founded by the French in 1612, conquered by the Portuguese in 1615, and briefly controlled by the Dutch between 1641 and 1644 before returning to Portuguese control. The city's main claim to fame is its historic centre which is chock-a-block with colonial architecture and Portuguese tiles.

Until recently, the centre was in a dismal state of repair and was generally an unsavory part of town. However, several years back, the government invested money in restoration and renovation and some vibrancy has since returned (the money trickles slower these days....). It is still a mixture of derelict and renovated, but is an enchanting place to visit. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, São Luis is another example of history being preserved due to a long period of economic stagnation. No money = no hideous 1950s skyscrapers!

Funnily enough, in two weeks I will be back in São Luis, this time on vacation. So more stories will be sure to follow, particularly since we will be there during the time of the Bumba Meu Boi / São João festivities.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"history being preserved due to a long period of economic stagnation"
I like that. I can use it next time someone tells me to fix up my house, tee,hee..

10:14 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the pics!!! Oh boy to I miss windows like that! UGh - must travel!!!!

11:19 p.m.  
Blogger PretaMulatta said...

i have DREAMS of maranhao! i'm so happy u were able 2 spend some time there. having watched da cor de pecado RELIGIOUSLY & fallen in love with preta + paco, i included maranhao on my last trip's itinerary, but as fate would have it, we ended up needing 2 spend more time in bahia & macae.

amazing... hope your time there was as enchanting as it is in my dreams.

11:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home