header Ottawa 3

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Sunday Night Report

Since I didn't manage to explore areas further afield this weekend, I decided to do a bit more exploring in Recife proper. Today's destination? Parque 13 de Maio [13th of May Park] located in downtown Recife. May 13th is a big date in Brazil as it was on that day in 1888 that Princess Regent Isabela signed the Lei Áurea or Golden Law which finally abolished slavery, Brazil being the last country in the Western World to do so. The date has added significance today, November 20th, which is also national Black Awareness Day.

Parque 13 de Maio, which in essence is the city's Praça Central or Central Square, is located a couple of blocks off of downtown Recife's main drag Conde da Boa Vista and is a small but pleasant urban park / playground / mini-zoo [birds & monkeys] where the Recifenses and their families hang out on Sundays. The atmosphere was relaxed and I enjoyed watching the children play, the vendors vend, the lovers love, the birds squak, and the adults soak up the sun. I didn't think to bring a book, but if I had, I surely would have parked myself on a shady bench for much of the afternoon.




1 Comments:

Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Ahh!!! How did I miss this blog in your previous comments? You're in Brazil!!

Great. Another addition to the bloglines. Just what I need.

1:39 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home