header Ottawa 3

Friday, November 18, 2005

I had a Dream

Last night, I dreamt that I couldn't find my hiking pants. This was particularly tramatic since I had finally gotten my act together to go hiking tomorrow. There are a couple of hiking clubs in Recife which organize trips within a 200km radius of the city most weekends. Although I had hoped to hook up with one of the groups prior to this weekend, conflicting schedules combined with the occasional late trip announcements prevented any potential collusion. This week however, I found out in time, was free, and managed to deposit the required sum into the group's bank account [a whole other story in itself....]. The main downside is that the group's departure time is 7am from a location approximately 30 minutes from home. Those who know me know that very few things in life can get me up that early and those that do usually involve passports and massive turbo-engines.

Startled awake from my dream, I willed myself to remember to check my closet when I woke up. Luckily, I did manage to remember only to discover that my pants were indeed missing. Try as I might, there was no trace of my zip-offs -- which ten years ago would have labelled me as Dutch [kind of like a MEC bag for Canadians*] but now just labels me as a Dutch wannabe. Probably the Dutch don't even wear zip-offs any more! In any case, on the one hand I was erked that I would have to quickly buy and probably hem a new pair of pants. On the other hand, I was quite relieved to have discovered this the day before the trip as opposed to the morning of at 5:45am. After work I headed to the mall [yes, the dreaded mall, more on that later as well] and actually found a new pair of hiking pants. They aren't zip-offs, but maybe this is a good thing when one is trying to keep up with the latest trends. They have now been hemmed [nothing like a deadline to get a job done] and are waiting patiently for our early-morning rendez-vous. Update & pics to follow on Sunday.

* Note to Americans: the flag is no longer sufficient, you also need a Mountain Equipment Co-op bag if you want to travel as a Canadian these days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.... I have zip off pants.... am I so out of touch that I had no idea how uncool that is?

3:07 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

I suspect that I am not the person to ask about coolness factors! No, but seriously, they might well still be cool -- it's just that I couldn't find any for sale, so I wasn't sure if it was a sign!

4:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home