header Ottawa 3

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Success!

It worked! Amazingly enough, my attempt to make Jerimum Recheado com Camarão ao Creme de Manga turned out almost perfectly. Half way through the experiment, I was worried that the pumpkin was not cooking properly. But, after keeping it in the oven for an extra five minutes, the result was delectable. The only thing I would change for next time would be to not skimp on the shrimp. As I was in a rush to buy the final ingredients, I bypassed the giant shrimp since I did not want to spend any time deveining them, and instead bought small - as in shrimpy - shrimp, which were all ready to go. It tasted good, but I think that the jumbo shrimp would have made it taste even better. So for those of you with pumpkins just piling up in the pantry, here is a translation of the recipe that I used, courtesy of the Art of Gastronomy in Brazil website. Apologies for half imperial / half metric - I am just copying directly from the site!

Ingredients:

1 pumpkin (1.5kg)
250g peeled jumbo shrimp
2 cups concentrate mango juice
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon chopped mint
1 teaspoon fennel / anise
salt to taste
2 Tablespoons creamy cheese [creamier than cream cheese, but cream cheese or sour cream may be the closest substitutes]

1. Wash the pumpkin well.
2. Carve open the top of the pumpkin and remove all the seeds from the middle.
3. Replace the top and cook the pumpkin in a bain-marie [water bath?] for 30 minutes. The recipe did not indicate a temperature, so I set the stove at approximately 220°C [425°F] which seemed to work well.
4. In the meantime, bring the mango juice and shrimp to a boil.
5. Once boiling, add the olive oil, mint, fennel, and salt.
6. Once the shrimp are cooked add the mixture to the pumpkin. Stir in the creamy cheese and cook for a further ten minutes.
7. Serve hot.

See. Easy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

That looks and sounds amazing. Being a huge fan of pumpkin and prawns, I think I may have to give this a try!

6:43 a.m.  
Blogger Michael Lehet said...

That does look quite yummy. I've been wondering to do with that Pumpkin in my pantry, here I was just going to carve a funny face in it and put a candle inside, your idea is much better!

10:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home