header Ottawa 3

Monday, April 11, 2005

Tempting Fate

This past weekend, a colleague arrived from headquarters for a week’s visit to São Paulo. Since it is his first time in Brazil, and hence São Paulo, we met up on the weekend for a bit of sightseeing and good eating.

First stop was Terraço Itália, just off of Praça da República. Loyal readers will remember Praça da República as the spot where my last colleague to visit got pickpocketed. Never one to stand still, I suggested that we tempt fate and return to this exact location. Fortunately, the gods of chance were smiling upon us, and the trip was uneventful. However, to follow up on my São Paulo from Above post, I must say that the view from Terraço Itália, on the 42nd floor of the Edifício Itália is incredible. And in fact, is far superior to the view from The View, which is only on the 30th floor. Even after having seen São Paulo from above on many occasions, I was breathless. So many skyscrapers, for as far as the eye can see.

Another stop on the weekend was the Sunday Antique Fair held next to the Museu de Arte de São Paulo, on Avenida Paulista. Although I just planned on browsing, I ended up buying an antique bench for my front hall. It is just perfect for sitting down to put on one’s shoes. At least I think that I bought it.... I paid a deposit of R$50 (it was all I had -- a true indication that I had not intended to spend money this weekend) and gave the seller all my work contact details so that she could delivery it sometime during the week, at which point I would pay the balance and take the bench home. The seller took all my details and wrote me a very elegant receipt for the deposit, stating that the balance would be paid on delivery. This morning I realised that perhaps I should have written down the seller’s name and phone number as well! Well, I have faith ... and if not, I always know where to find her again next Sunday!

After browsing the antique fair, we headed back to Praça da República for a look at the Sunday handicrafts fair. Again, the gods were smiling upon us and we survived unscathed. Although, I may have to return next week to buy a painting that I adored....

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

You make it sound so lovely!

3:21 a.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Sorry! Caipirinhas were still R$12. Just sip slowly, as you should in any case!

8:20 p.m.  
Blogger daniel (gigo08) said...

I never got to go to Terraco Italia, I always meant to check it out, but somehow i put it off for too long. i was going to have my birthday party at The View this past year but the manager was so rude to me on the phone and so unhelpfull that i scratched that idea (even though id been wanting to go for like 6 months).

the one place i did make it to that you dont seem to have visited is the Skye Restaurant. i have to say, Hotel Unique is one of my favorite buildings in the city and the restaurant/bar on the roof is amazing. there is an uncovered deck next to the pool, but the actual bar and restaurant are indoors. i highly recommend it. as you said in a previous post, its not as high as the other buildings where you can get a good view, but the cool thing about it is that its in the middle of a residental neighbor hood, so its one of the few builings around in a valley which is circled by walls of buildings in all directions.

very much worth checking out. very chic, with many "patricinhas" and "mauricinhos", but if that doesnt bother you, im sure youll love it.

2:04 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Will definitely have to check out Syke, having passed in many times ... unfortunately I am getting down to the wire for fitting in Sao Paulo activities. My move to Recife looks like it will happen within the next month!

9:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home