header Ottawa 3

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Embassy Furniture Part II (a.k.a. Ceci n'est pas un oreiller)


Take a look at this -- can you honestly call it a pillow with a clear conscience? This "bed accessory" consists of a stiff piece of foam -- 10 cm high -- with tubular holes every couple of centimetres which go all the way through to the other side. A look at this accessory gives an indication of what I mean when I refer to the embassy furniture. How is one supposed to sleep with their head on a ten-centimetre piece of stiff foam? Now fortunately, I had two "normal" pillows waiting for me in my apartment so things weren't as tragic as all that. However, until my shipment arrives (more on that later), my poor guests have had to suffer their way through the nights. I found out later that one of my colleagues only had these pillows in her house and therefore had no choice but to use them on her bed.

The funny thing is that these pillows are not particularly cheap -- so it's not an issue of money. As I was perusing Tok & Stok for my lamps, I came across these pillows (thus confirming that even stores with cool stuff sometimes make mistakes) and I discovered that they cost approximately CAN$18 each. Normal pillows cost only two or three dollars more. Later discussions with colleagues here at the Consulate enlightened me to the fact that the Consulate administration was worried that the Canadian staff would appropriate (read: steal) any accessories that were too nice. Thus, the pillows. Well, have no fear. Not only will I not appropriate these pillows, very few of them will even get to leave their original packaging, thus remaining in pristine condition for the next user. They remain tucked away in a closet and I remain hopefully that my shipment and my pillows will arrive from Canada prior to the arrival of all my Christmas guests (keep your fingers crossed meninas!). Pictures of the dreaded lamps will follow soon once I develop my current roll of film. Perhaps the time has come to go digital!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home