header Ottawa 3

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Bad Expat (a.k.a. It's Carnaval and I am sitting at home)

This week is Carnaval and I am celebrating by relaxing at home with a nice cappuccino, some cds in the cd player, and a book in hand. Having just spent thirty-two of the last seventy days traveling (and knowing that I will be spending twenty-one of the next twenty-eight days traveling), I felt that it was time to stay put, see if my kitchen still works, and reconnect with poor little Felix. Of course, there are Carnaval-related activities that I could participate in here in Sao Paulo, but Carnaval in the city is almost exculsively a paying-event which requires expensive tickets.

Carnaval is celebrated in every corner of Brazil, no matter how big or small the location. It does, however, take on different forms in each place. Rio is clearly the most flamboyant and outgoing of the celebrations with outrageous costumes (or lack thereof) being the norm. Carnaval in Rio also requires the purchase of tickets to participate in the parade.

On the other hand, Carnaval in Recife and Olinda (where I will be next year), is a much less flamboyant and more democratic holiday with everyone taking to the streets and no ticket purchases necessary. The costumes are a little more conservative (although, to be fair, it is not very difficult to be more conservative than the Rio affair!) and everyone parades and dances behind giant dolls that represent popular Brazilian personalities.

So I feel a little guilty for missing the celebrations, but on the flip side, it is nice to be able to sleep in and relax for a few days. I promise that next year, I will be in there with the best of them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home